Monthly Archives: March 2017

Toolkit II – The sequel

As any QL owner will know, the Toolkit 2 from QJUMP/Tony Tebby was THE toolkit without which a QL was almost unusable, arguably its contents should have been in the ROM from the start. And I always thought it was quite a shame that such an important toolkit hasn’t been updated in two decades. This got me thinking that most TK2 source files at one time were incorporated into SMSQ/E and that with a little bit of work it should be possible to re-create something resembling TK2 from them again. Turns out I was right, but also completely wrong in how “little” that work is. But still, too many hours later, I can now present to you a brand new Toolkit II release I arbitrarily labeled version 2.30.

This is now based on the latest SMSQ/E source code, with new SMSQ/E features left intact if it was feasible (e.g. the “LOAD” command now automatically tries to append a “_bas” extension to the filename) plus many commands that have been added in the last 20 years (EXF, EX_M, FET, FEW, FEX, FEX_M, HGET, HPUT, JOBID, LGET, LPUT, UPUT, WGET and WPUT).

Unfortunately there are also parts of the source code that were completely missing, like the extended MDV driver. In this case I completely reverse engineered it from an existing ROM binary in a way that you can’t tell anymore that this isn’t the original source code.

The old network server code is actually still supplied with the SMSQ/E source code even though it’s not actually used there. The problem with that is that it’s just too big to fit into the ROM anymore and it probably doesn’t make much sense to run it from RAM because of the different timing. Therefore I didn’t include it. The ALARM and CLOCK commands had a similar fate.

The ALTKEY code, too, is included in SMSQ/E without seeing any usage. I didn’t want to include it at first, because with the Hotkey System II it’s very much obsolete. But when tinkering with my QL system the HK2 is often not loaded yet and it drives me crazy when ALT+ENTER doesn’t work to recall the last line. So it went back in. Problem then was that the result was about 200 or 300 bytes too big, so I removed the ALTKEY code but left the ALT+ENTER code in. The result was still 20 bytes too big, but with a few tweaks I now actually have 8 bytes left 🙂

So without further ado, here it is:

TK2 v2.31 ROM version
TK2 v2.31 RESPR version (full ALTKEY support because space doesn’t matter here)
TK2 v2.31 source code (needs rest of SMSQ/E source code to compile)

Recap: latest code, including extended MDV driver (not necessary and therefore disabled on Minerva), all new commands, no ALTKEY, but ALT+ENTER support.

Enjoy!

2017-03-27: Updated to version 2.31 to fix a bug in CDEC$

QMake released for free

This has been a long time in the making, actually I wanted to do this many years ago, but the day is finally here: QMake is here for everybody to enjoy. QMake is a “make” tool which basically takes a linker file as input, collects all files that make up the executable and assembles any where the source is newer than the relocatable file. You can also add dependencies like “reassemble win1_fu_asm if win1_keys_bar changes”. I’ve used this tool for well over 20 years to build SMSQ/E and all my other projects and consider it to be pretty much essential.

I’ve created a new page for it, check it out here.

German Minerva-ROM

Since changing from MGG to the Minerva ROM a few decades ago I’ve never used an unmodified Minerva ROM, I always used one where the German keyboard tables were patched into the binary somehow (by Jochen Hassler I think). This changed when I installed the QL-SD interface in my QL as it comes with a vanilla ROM where the German keyboard support had to be loaded every time, which I found fairly annoying. But now that the Minerva sources are publicly available changing this is fairly easy: take the Minerva source code plus the source of the German language pack, stir a bit and voila, a new ROM. The only thing missing is the printer translation table as that pushes the ROM beyond the 48KB limit.
As probably not everybody can do such a thing I provide the resulting binaries here, in case somebody finds it useful:

Minerva 1G98
Minerva 1G98 with QL-SD driver (2018-01-22: updated ROM with Wolfgang Lenerz’ QLWA driver)

As for an EEPROM programmer I ordered one at my currently favourite Chinese store Ali-Express (being so cheap that I spent a truck-load of money there this year…). In this case I got myself the somewhat more expensive TL866A for just 60€, which also includes a lot of adapters:

TL866A universal chip programmer

But the smaller brother TL866 can be had for less than 35€ including shipping. This is an amazing piece of hardware for the price (usually it’s also available on eBay for slightly more) that finally lets me retire Jochen Hassler’s excellent but nowadays slightly outdated QL Eprommer II board:

Jochen Hassler’s Eprommer II board