QL-SD product selection guide
- You need a QL with a free ROM port. Some expansion boards like the new Tetroid Memory+QUBIDE combined card are not compatible or must have parts disabled in order for QL-SD to work. I generally recommend a GoldCard or even SuperGoldCard. TrumpCards with only a floppy interface or QLs with internal memory upgrades should be ok, too
- You need to decide which slot-variant of QL-SD you want. There are three:
- Single slot (in place of a Microdrive)
- Double slot (in place of a Microdrive)
- MicroSD (in ventilation slot)
For details on these please see below.
- Do you want your QL-SD to have a port for potential future hardware (“SPI version”) or would you rather be able to disable the QL-SD or the onboard OS ROM with a switch (“Switch version”)? I now provide the SPI version by default, if you want the “Switch” version please note this in your order
- Optionally add a SDHC card to your order if you don’t already have one. Any SD card with at least 4GB of memory is compatible
- That’s it
QL-SD v2 ROM socket adapter board
This needs one of the companion boards (single, dual, micro) to work. QL-SD comes with the latest Minerva v1.98 (plus I/O fix), optionally I can also supply the German version (write in the order comment if you want the German version).
An SD card is not included by default, you must supply your own SDHC card or add one to your order! All cards starting from 4GB are SDHC, smaller cards will most likely not work.
There are actually two versions you can select from:
- The upper pins form another SPI port that can be used to attach more hardware. I might provide a mouse interface this way in the future, but no promises! This is the default
- Alternatively the upper port can features 4 inputs: one disables the lower 48KB of the ROM, one disables QL-SD altogether and two are general purpose and can be used by any software. Switches are not provided, you need to solder this yourself. If you want this feature please note this on your order
QL-SD single slot
QL-SD double slot
Features jumpers so the user can select which slot is WIN1 and which is WIN2.
With the microSD board both MDV drives can stay in the QL. It is simply fastened using a powerstrip and there is a small activity LED that points towards the back. The slot (like the bigger boards) is push-to-eject.
Older QL-SD hardware can be upgraded with the new firmware. In some cases this is painless, in some cases the hardware might need fixing (replacement of the CPLD+ROM chips), the price reflects this.
(Super-)GoldCard battery adapter
The PCBs are slightly bigger than the original battery but fit perfectly on GC/SGC. For other applications the edges could be trimmed if needed. CR2032 battery not included.
MDV replacement felt (sold out)
I have imported a bunch of high quality 8-track cassette felt strips and as the shipping was the expensive part I got a few more so people can just add them to their order. One strip is good for a lot of MDVs.
The prices might seem somewhat high for these small boards, but being based in Germany means that out of 80€ about 40€ are taxes (15€ VAT+25€ income tax). So even discarding the whole time spent on PCB/CPLD and driver development I’m basically operating at a loss as all these boards were hand-made by me, which can be quite time consuming. I had some fun doing it but all in all I’m not sure I’d do another production run quite frankly, so enjoy while it lasts.